Thursday, December 5, 2013

Arroz con Pollo (Chicken and Rice)



Last year, I had the opportunity to travel to Honduras and do some mission work at a children's home. Since we were a large group, they thought it'd be easier to just serve us the same food everyday.

Any guesses what it was?

Yup, chicken and rice.

For 6 days.

In reality, thanks to my Crohn's disease I wasn't eating any of the local food but I watched my travel mates choke down chicken and rice so many times they pledged to never eat it again. And while I didn't even eat any of it, I had no desire to want to make it for months after our trip!

Arroz con Pollo is a traditional chicken and rice dish from Spain and Latin America and when prepared well, it's darn tasty. This version is done in one pot - rice and all - which makes for an easy weeknight meal. And y'all know I love those!

I found the Sazon packets in the international aisle of my grocery store - which is really limited in their international foods already. The packets come in a 1.4 oz box. Azafran is saffron, which gives the dish the gorgeous yellow hue.


Arroz con Pollo
2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
1 tbsp vinegar
2 packets Goya Sazon con Azafran (see above)
1/2 tsp adobo powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion
1/4 cup cilantro
3 cloves garlic
5 scallions
1 tomato, diced
2.5 cups long grain rice
4 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 packet Goya powdered chicken bouillon 
salt to taste

Season the chicken with the vinegar, 1 packet of the sazon, adobo powder, and garlic powder. Let rest for 10 minutes. Heat a dutch oven over medium heat and add 2 tsp of the oil. Add the chicken and brown on each side. Remove and set aside.

In a small food processor, combine the onion, cilantro, garlic, and scallions. Pulse until finely chopped. If you don't have a small processor, you can chop them by hand.  

Add the remaining 1 tsp oil to the pot and saute the finely chopped onion mixture on medium-low until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato and cook another minute. Add the rice, mix well, and cook another minute. Add the water, bouillon, and 1 packet sazon, scraping up any browned bites on the bottom. Taste for salt and adjust as needed.

Add the browned chicken and bring to a boil. Simmer on medium-low until most of the water evaporates and you see liquid bubbling at the top of the rice line. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook 20 minutes without opening the lid. Remove from heat and let sit - with the lid on - for an additional 10 minutes. 

Fluff with a fork before serving. 

Source: Slightly adapted from Skinnytaste

9 comments :

  1. Sounds delish! I will be giving this one a whirl soon. I've got some Sazon packets I've been meaning to use up so this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this right now! I can't wait to eat it!! I live how simple it is since I'm always looking for easy meals to make for my hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making this right now! I can't wait to eat it!! I live how simple it is since I'm always looking for easy meals to make for my hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! What can I use to substitute the chicken cube/packet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good! This has become a regular for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it’s a nice one, I have been looking for. Thanks for sharing such informative stuff.
    brown rice recipes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Subsequently, after spending many hours on the internet at last We have uncovered an individual that definitely does know what they are discussing many thanks a great deal wonderful post.
    long grain brown rice

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think so. I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later
    organic white rice

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved