Wednesday, October 15, 2014

One Pot Turkey Pumpkin Chili



Ground turkey, beans, peppers, corn, and pumpkin are simmered together in this simple, healthy, and warm chili. Easy enough for a weeknight meal but tastes like it's been cooking all day!

I have to be honest; I hesitated even putting pumpkin in the title of the recipe because it scares some people off. Matter of fact, as I was working on the graphic my husband peeked over my shoulder and said "that had pumpkin in it?!" The pumpkin works beautifully in giving it a thick, nutty richness that also helps cut the calories and up the nutritional value but doesn't taste anything like pumpkin. If you don't care for pumpkin flavored things - like my husband - please don't overlook this recipe.

This recipe can be tweaked heavily and still taste delicious. If you like a lot of spice, throw in some cayenne or up the pepper count. Have some extra veggies on hand? Chop them up and toss them in!

Don't you love one pot meals?


Turkey Pumpkin Chili
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
6 baby bell peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped (use red, yellow, and green combo for color)
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pound ground turkey
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1-2 cups water
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper, to taste
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
sour cream, for topping
chopped cilantro, for topping

Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, jalapenos, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey and cook until browned.

Add the tomatoes, pumpkin, 1 cup water, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and add the beans and corn. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, adding additional water if desired. 

Top with sour cream and cilantro before serving. 

Source: adapted from Whole Foods   

2 comments :

  1. I made a pumpkin chili recently and I didn't taste the pumpkin either! I was a little disappointed. I may try it again with some tweaks so I can taste it. I used beef, which may have overpowered? I like your turkey better. We shall see... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the Create Link Inspire link party. This sounds delicious! I don't think I've ever had chili with pumpkin in it. I will definitely have to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved