Monday, June 27, 2011

Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce

Several bloggers that I follow have made Elly Says Opa's gyros so I decided it was time to try them myself. I really didn't change much about the recipe, since I've never made gyros before and wanted them to be as close to authentic as possible. I did, however, realize that gyros are about impossible to look appetizing in pictures.

You will notice my gyros are simply chicken and tzatziki sauce; I don't like tomatos or onions... by all means, load yours up with veggies if you like them. Next time I'll make my own pitas!

This recipe was quick to make after work but only because I had done some prep the night before. My yogurt strained overnight in the fridge and I went ahead and marinated my chicken overnight, too. The chicken was very flavorful and moist and the tzatziki sauce was worth the effort I made last night.

We had it with Greek Tomato Pilaf.

Chicken Gyros
1.25 lbs. chicken pieces (I used boneless/skinless breast)
4 cloves garlic, smashed
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping Tbsp. plain yogurt
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
Salt and pepper
1/2 batch of tzatziki (recipe below)
Sliced tomatoes
Sliced onions
4 (pocketless) pitas

Whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and oregano in a bowl. Add the chicken and rub the marinade in. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preheat the broiler (or grill, or pan on the stove). Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and then broil until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side, depending what size/type chicken you are using. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.

Meanwhile, heat your pitas. I threw mine into the microwave but you could throw them on the grill for a few minutes or put them on your burner, if you are lucky enough to have a gas stove.

Top the pita with the chicken, tzatziki, tomatoes, onions. Enjoy!


Tzatziki Sauce
32oz. container of plain yogurt (Not fat free, unless it's a Greek yogurt like Fage)
1 hothouse cucumber or 2 regular cucumbers
3-5 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
Salt and a little pepper
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice (optional)
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil

Strain yogurt using a cheesecloth over a bowl (or, line a strainer with a coffee filter or paper towel) for several hours or overnight to get out as much moisture as possible.

Peel and seed the cucumber. Shred the cucumbers and then squeeze them to get rid of as much excess moisture as possible. I use a towel to do this, and you will get a lot of liquid.

Mix together the strained yogurt, shredded cucumbers, garlic, vinegar and lemon juice (if desired). Salt to taste. It’s best to refrigerate for 30 minutes or more before serving, so flavors can meld.

Drizzle a little olive oil over the top.

1 comment :

  1. Those chicken gyros are the BEST. This reminds me I need to make them again!

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved