Saturday, July 9, 2011

Fettuccine Alfredo (the way it's intended to be made)

If you're counting calories, I highly suggest you click out of this post and don't read any further...

Years ago, we were planning (another) visit to Walt Disney World and I learned that L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Restaurant in Epcot serves their trademark dish, fettuccine alfredo, the way it was originally created by Alfredo Di Lelio in 1914. The dish that is often found at Americanized Italian restaurants include heavy cream, which neither one of us tolerate well. So, once I learned that this dish was cream free - and the way it was intended to be made - I had to try it. We made a reservation and absolutely loved the richness of the alfredo sauce, sans cream.

Bet you didn't think you'd get a history lesson, too?

This dish is incredibly decadent. My first words after taking a bite were "Oh my God that's good." And it is. When a meal is comprised of butter, cheese, and pasta, how can it not be?

There is nothing remotely healthy about it but I think splurging is okay sometimes. If you're worried about the calories, maybe serve it as a side dish to grilled fish or chicken. This is so satisying but yet doesn't leave you with that blah feeling like many of the really heavy pasta dishes out there.

This recipe is incredibly simple and fast. Three ingredients! Start to finish it was about 15 minutes and that includes grating all the cheese while the water boiled. I used the refrigerated noodles that take 3 minutes to cook. Also, be sure and buy a quality butter and cheese for this and grate your own cheese so it melts well. I got this from my Delicious Disney cookbook.

Fettuccine Alfredo
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened (I used Kerrygold Irish butter)
1/2 pound Parmesan cheese, grated (plus more for garnish)
1 pound fettuccine (preferably fresh)

With an electric mixer, beat the butter and cheese until creamy.

Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.

Return fettuccine to pot. Toss with cheese mixture and 1/4 cup of the reserved water until all strands are coated (add more reserved water as needed to make a smooth creamy sauce).

Garnish with fresh Parmesan.

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved