Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ropa Vieja {Crockpot}

I've always wanted to visit Cuba. Mostly because I'm not allowed to go... but also because it's not as Americanized as many other countries and I'd love to visit a place like that. Wthout going halfway around the world. While I hope the travel restrictions change during my lifetime, or I figure out some way to get myself there, I'll start now by just enjoying Cuban cuisine. Like this dish.

This traditionally Cuban dish is incredibly delicious, easy to make, and versatile! I happily ate mine over rice (I'm a total rice junkie.) but Jason went straight for the fresh made tortillas to make soft tacos (and there may just been quite a bit of cheese sprinkled over top of his...). It's similar to a traditional brisket but with a different flavor profile.

We both loved it and it made a TON that was easily to use over the next few days in a variety of ways. The crockpot makes it a super simple meal that you can pull together after walking in the door after a long day.

Ropa Vieja
2 lb beef brisket, top sirloin, or other roast
1 sweet vidalia onion, diced small
1 small can (3 ounce) pimentos morrones, fire roasted peeled pimentos diced
20 small pitted pimento stuffed green olives drained of the brine
8 clove fresh garlic smashed or put through a garlic press
1/4 c diced fresh curly parsley, try not to add the stems
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp apple vinegar
3 ounces tomato paste
1 small packet sazon goya seasoning with culantro and achiote
3 sprig(s) fresh cilantro diced
1/4 c tomato ketchup
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 c – 1 c beef brisket broth (reserved after slow cooking)
1 lime, sliced for serving

Add all ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 10 hours.

Remove cooked meat from slow cooker and shred. Strain pimentos and olives from beef broth and mix back in with shredded meat. Moisten shredded meat with reserved cooking liquid to desired consistency, if needed.

Source: Branny Boils Over

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved