Sunday, July 7, 2013

Shrimp & Couscous in Saffron Broth



Are y'all getting a ton of rain in your neck of the woods? Man alive, I can't remember feeling this water logged before! Back home in Texas, summer means drought like conditions, water restrictions, and brutal temps. By now, our water bill would have been sky high as we tried to keep the darn lawn alive. But here in North Carolina? Haven't had to water the lawn yet and it's thick, green, and gorgeous. It would be lovely to enjoy if it would stop raining long enough!

I think much of the east coast is experiencing these constant downpours as well but I don't think it's normal for this time of year. I hope? 

The downside to constant rain is that grilling is a bit more difficult, and you know I'm a huge fan of the grill! Thankfully, this recipe is whipped up on your stove top so the weather outside doesn't matter at all. 

We really loved this meal. Doesn't it look like something you'd get at a beach-side restaurant? Israeli couscous is one of my favorite textures and it works perfectly with the plump shrimp, fresh veggies, and saffron. And it cooks up in mere minutes! 


Shrimp & Couscous in Saffron Broth
For the shrimp:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch dice (about 2 cups)
3 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice (about 1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt and pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups chicken stock

For the couscous:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups Israeli couscous
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

First make the couscous: Heat oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. Add couscous, stir to coat, and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, 1-2 minutes.

Add the water; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until couscous is tender and has absorbed the liquid, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and stir in butter.

While the couscous is cooking, heat a large saute pan over medium. Add oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Cook the fennel, carrots, and saffron until they start to soften, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.

Season shrimp with salt and pepper and add to pan. Cook 1 minute and then turn shrimp. Pour in wine and stock and cook until shrimp are pink and opaque throughout, about 2 minutes.

To serve, spoon couscous in shallow bowls and top with shrimp, vegetables, and broth.   

Source: slightly adapted from Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home Cookbook

14 comments :

  1. It’s always useful to read through articles from other authors and practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please check my website for newly published articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article is very helpful and interesting too. Keep doing this in future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for making something worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to to thank you for this good read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely feel this web site. I’ll be back again to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be very happy to discover this kind of post very useful personally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Valuable info. Fortunate me I discovered your web site by chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read your article very impressively. I want to write something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s really pleasure to read your post. Thank you so much for writing such a nice post

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great web site! It looks really expert! Maintain the helpful job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! I really enjoyed your post I want to share with you all a useful source.

    ReplyDelete

  14. Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! I like the helpful info you supply to your articles

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved