Thursday, August 1, 2013

Blueberry BBQ Sauce



Yep, I'm back with yet another blueberry recipe. They are cheap, sweet, and I'm addicted. Now if you're like my husband and not a blueberry fan {the horror!!}, don't click away! He loved this sauce and didn't have a clue that blueberries were in it.

Really.

I promise.

This sauce is tangy, sweet, inexpensive, and a piece of cake to make! It'd be great on a variety of grilled meats ~ especially seafood. We brushed it on salmon as it grilled and it was SO good.

Have some blueberries hanging around? Drag out some basic pantry items and make a batch of BBQ sauce!


Blueberry BBQ Sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until they just start to brown around the edges. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. 

Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the blueberries, and cook until they begin to soften and burst, about 10 minutes. Use the back of a spoon to mash them, then add the ketchup, both vinegars, brown sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. 

Whisk well to combine and break up the blueberries, and then increase the heat to medium. Stirring often, cook until it begins to bubble, then lower heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce has thickened, another 10-20 minutes. The sauce will be thicker and clumpier than a traditional BBQ sauce. 

As you grill, simply brush on the prepared sauce. 

3 comments :

  1. Doesn't that sounds good. I would love to try this on our next batch of ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night for ribs and it was fantastic. Now my favorite BBQ sauce! Will make a batch and use often. Because I had oral surgery last year and can't eat red pepper flakes (sets my mouth on fire), I substituted the pepper flakes for 1/4 teaspoon of Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning. Adds the flavor without the burn (for me). Thanks Aimee for sharing this recipe. I will no longer have to search for a barbecue sauce that I can eat. BTW: Food Lion stores carry blueberry BBQ ribs (seasonal - summer) that are very good. Prepackaged heat and serve - my first experience with blueberry BBQ sauce. Sure missed them in the off season, but now I don't have to wait!

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved