Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bars



Photographers always say that it's not the camera you use, it's the way you use it.

I disagree.

It's my completely uneducated opinion that a camera makes a huge difference. The proof will be my photos in the coming days because the lens on my SLR died and I've been forced to use a cheap point and shoot.

I kept thinking that my lens would miraculously heal itself so I put off taking food pictures for a few days before finally coming to grips with the fact that it's broken. Here's hoping the camera store I stop at tomorrow has an easy fix! In the meantime, you'll have to forgive my photos...

It's the middle of October and despite the 252 (and quickly growing!) pins on my fall themed Pinterest board, I've yet to make a pumpkin flavored anything.

The horror!

If this was Survivor, the other food bloggers would have surely voted me off the island for this pumpkin related travesty.

But here it is! A pumpkin recipe! And it's a good one, y'all. I actually bookmarked this back in 2009 - 4 years ago! - and I finally got around to making it, though I'm wondering why it took me so long?

The bottom layer is pressed into the pan like a thick cookie dough batter and bakes turns into a caramely sugar cookie. The top layer has the consistency of a thick pumpkin pie - it holds up well when sliced into bars. Then, you sprinkle on cinnamon sugar before baking. All together, this makes up one AWESOME bar cookie ~ and so easy!

My favorite pieces were the ones on the inside - the edges were too "set" for me. This makes a large amount (a full 9x13 pan) so I cut the firmer edges off and tossed them. Taste and see what your preference is!

Be sure and check doneness with a toothpick before pulling from the oven. These are thick and take awhile to bake! 


Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bars
For the snickerdoodle layer:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 sticks salted butter, at room temp (if using unsalted, add 1 teaspoon salt)
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs, at room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

For the pumpkin pie layer:
1 cup white sugar
1 stick salted butter, at room temp (if using unsalted, add 1 teaspoon salt)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 eggs, at room temp
1 1/2 cups canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)

For the topping:
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan and line it with parchment paper, allowing it to extend the pan slightly for easier handling later.

To make the snickerdoodle layer, sift together the flour and baking power and set aside. In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the flour mixture until well blended. Spread evenly in the prepared pan (it'll be thick and cookie dough like - use your palm to press it down evenly).

To make the pumpkin pie layer, beat together the butter and sugar. Add the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, eggs, and pumpkin. Mix until well combined. Pour over the snickerdoodle layer, smoothing out the top with a rubber spatula.

In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and sugar for topping. Sprinkle it evenly over the bars. 

Bake for 33-40 minutes (or more, depending upon your oven) until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bars cool completely before using the parchment paper to lift them out of the pan. Place on a cutting board and cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. 

Source: Plain Chicken

4 comments :

  1. I am a pumpkin fanatic and make many pumpkin recipes so I can't wait to try this delicious looking bar. I am always looking for new ways to incorporate pumpkin in food so as to satisfy my love for the stuff. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they'll disappoint! I brought the whole batch to the office and they disappeared within hours :)

      Delete
  2. Wow I love all the layers in these bars!! Thank you for sharing these at Saturday Night Fever! Pinning for sure!

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved