Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Starbucks Copycat Lemon Loaf



Incredibly moist and bursting with lemon flavor, this easy lemon loaf is whipped up in just 1 bowl!

Cliche as it may be, I'm a Starbucks addict. I'm one of those people who know the staff and they always start my order when they see me walk in. I'm not a $7 drink person; I'm an iced coffee addict and theirs is pretty reasonably priced. Their food, however, is pretty overpriced so I rarely order it. My husband does not do coffee (or really, any drink that Starbucks offers) but he loves their lemon loaf! Occasionally, if he's with me on one of my iced coffee runs, he asks for a slice to go.

Their lemon loaf really is fantastic, but it's pricey! I can make this entire loaf for probably half of a single slice at Starbucks. The ingredient list has nothing weird, you don't need to use every mixing bowl in your cabinet (just 1!), and you don't even need a hand mixer. That's my kind of baking!

The verdict was two thumbs up in this house. It's moist and really loaded with lemon flavor! I think it may even be better than Starbucks... but don't tell my favorite baristas!

Do make sure your extract isn't old (ie: not alcohol-y); I actually had to replace mine before making this recipe because mine was more alcohol than lemon in flavor. The glaze can be thickened to your liking. I like mine thin, drizzly, and really soaked into the loaf so I sliced my cake and then drizzled the glaze so each layer really absorbs the lemon flavor.  

Don't make this right before going to bed. You might find yourself eating a few slices alone in a dark kitchen. Not that that happened to me.


Starbucks Copycat Lemon Loaf
For the loaf:
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2.5 tablespoons lemon extract, or to taste
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice, or as needed for consistency

Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with floured cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, and yogurt or sour cream. Whisk vigorously until smooth and well combined. Drizzle in the oil and continue whisking until combined. Add the lemon zest and lemon extract; whisk to combine. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir to combine but don't overmix. It's okay if there are some lumps present.

Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 40 minutes. Carefully pull the pan out and loosely drape a sheet of foil over top to help prevent over browning. Place back in the oven and cook another 10-12 minutes or until the top is domed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool for at least 30 minutes before glazing.

To make the glaze, in a small bowl add the confectioners' sugar and slowly drizzle in the lemon juice, whisking as you go. Add juice until it's your desired consistency.

Drizzle the glaze over the loaf before serving. As noted above, I like slicing mine before drizzling so that glaze gets in between the slices.

Store airtight at room temp.

Source: Recipe slightly adapted from Averie Cooks

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved