Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Roasted Green Chile Cheese Grits from Bonnell's Restaurant

We had a staff hosted dinner over the weekend for a group of people who won it in a fundraiser auction a few months ago. Typically, we talk about a menu and see what each person could make and bring to complement it. I decided to bring a starch - we talked about risotto (too time consuming), polenta, and grits. I'm a fan of cheese grits. I've never been to Bonnell's but a colleague said their chile cheese grits would be perfect for the meal so that's what I made. Since the grits can get gummy, I roasted the chile and chopped everything at home and cooked the dish there.

Grits are always easy to make and even non-grit loving people typically like cheesy ones that are really creamy. These grits are really, really tasty. Probably the best grits I've had to date. Since Jason wasn't at the dinner, I can't wait to make them at home again sometime soon so he can taste them. They were flavorful, cheesy, and creamy.

This would be delicious with a big steak and some grilled asparagus.

Roasted Green Chile Cheese Grits
1 teaspoon butter (I'm sure I used more...)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 roasted poblano chile, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped garlic (I used more)
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup quick grits
2 ounces grated cheddar cheese
2 ounces grated jack cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
Creole seasoning blend, to taste

Saute chile, onion, and garlic in butter until soft.

Add cream and chicken stock and bring to a simmer (just before a rolling boil).

Quickly whisk in seasonings and grits. Stir constantly until grits begin to thicken (a colleagues help in whisking was helpful!)

Gently fold in cheeses and let sit for at least 5 minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved