Sunday, August 29, 2010

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken and Quinoa Salad with Peaches

Tonight's dinner was really good. Both recipes are from Cooking Light and were very fast. The chicken recipe is originally for thighs but since I don't care for thighs, I cut breasts in half (and thirds, for one large piece) and used the same cooking times. Worked great. The recipe is really stuff you already have in your pantry and spice cabinet, which makes it budget friendly. The chicken has a good kick to it. I'm pretty sensitive to heat and I ate it fine but just as a warning. You could leave out the cayenne and probably still get good flavor without the heat.

I love quinoa, and I'm glad there are more and more recipes using it. It's very healthy and easily versatile, plus I think it's cool looking. I had to punt on the quinoa recipe, as I didn't have a lemon and I used up my honey on the chicken but it was still perfect. The peach really makes it; it melds so nicely with the quinoa.

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (I used 3 large breasts)
Cooking spray
6 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoon cider vinegar

1. Preheat broiler
2. Combine first 6 ingredients in large bowl. Add chicken to the bowl and toss to coat. Place chicken on a boiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil chicken 5 minutes on each side.
3. Combine honey and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring well. Remove chicken from oven; brush honey mixture on chicken. Broil 1 minute. Remove chicken and turn over. Brush with honey mixture. Broil 1 additional minute or until chicken is done.

Quinoa Salad with Peaches
Bring 1.5 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Add 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Cool quinoa slightly. Stir in 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper, 1/4 cup chopped green onions, 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1.5 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1.5 teaspoons honey, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 sliced ripe peach.

My changes: I left out the bell pepper, used lime juice instead of lemon, and used corn syrup instead of honey. Hey, I was desperate!

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved