Saturday, November 6, 2010

Honey Walnut Shrimp

 
I found this recipe on AllRecipes while looking for new ways to use shrimp. It had great reviews and, since it's my favorite faux chinese dish at Panda Express, I wanted to give it a try.

I hit 4 different stores in my hunt for the mochiko without success so I went with cornstarch, which several reviews substituted with. I plan to hit an Asian food market for it since I'd like to try it the "right" way.

The dish was fairly easy and quick (though a little messy...). I thought the shrimp might adhere to the batter better if they were patted dry, which is what I did with the first batch, but instead it made it difficult to dip - the batter is a gluey texture. So, I tried it "wet" and it worked perfect and went a lot faster!

I was impressed with this recipe. I really think it tastes just like something you'd order at a chinese restaurant (or Panda Express!). We'll definitely have to have it on a fairly regular basis (as regular as I make any dishes) even if Jason picks out all the candied walnuts. More for me!

Honey Walnut Shrimp
1 cup water
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup walnuts
4 egg whites
2/3 cup mochiko (glutinous rice flour) - I used cornstarch instead
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon canned sweetened condensed milk
1 cup vegetable oil for frying

Stir together the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and add the walnuts. Boil for 2 minutes, then drain and place walnuts on a cookie sheet to dry.

Whip egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Stir in the mochiko until it has a pasty consistency. Heat the oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium-high heat. Dip shrimp into the mochiko batter, and then fry in the hot oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

In a medium serving bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, honey and sweetened condensed milk. Add shrimp and toss to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle the candied walnuts on top and serve.

Original recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-Walnut-Shrimp/Detail.aspx?prop31=1

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved