Monday, September 19, 2011

One Minute Taco Seasoning

First, let me say how nice it is to be food blogging again! For the last couple of weeks, I've been sick with pneumonia and there was a time when I thought I'd never have the breath to leave the recliner again - much less cook a meal! I'm thankful to say that I seem to be on the upswing and have really missed cooking. Not only because I enjoy it, but also because I'm tired of take-out! So, expect some more regular recipes in the coming days. Lots of time stuck at home = lots of time pinning recipes I want to try.

This taco seasoning was actually for dinner the night I got sick and I never had the chance to post it. I've often wondered why people pick up the little packets of taco seasoning at the store. They are cheap, typically less than a buck, but they are SO high in sodium and who knows what else. Just about anyone with a basic spice cabinet has the stuff to make their own taco seasoning at home in less than a minute. And for pennies! This recipe is easy to double/triple and keep on hand for a later date, too.

I think this is a pretty mild seasoning - feel free to add more kick to your liking (or leave out the red peppers all together). I've made tacos for the kids I work with several times and have used this recipe (cut down a bit on the red pepper) and not a one has complained. Since spices are pretty and fun to measure, this is a great meal your child would help with.

Recipe comes from All Recipes.


One Minute Taco Seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

*This will make about 3 tablespoons. Use 2-3 tablespoons seasoning mix per 1 pound browned ground beef/turkey, plus 1/2 - 2/3 cup water. Just like you would with a seasoning packet.

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved