Monday, October 3, 2011

Homemade Potato Chips

If a restaurant offers house made potato chips, I'm all over it. I love a good potato chip - who doesn't? I've made fried potatoes many times (similar technique, but a bit thicker and not as crispy) but never tried making good ol' potato chips on my own.

Tonight we had bacon cheeseburgers with bacon balsamic onion jam (amazing - will post tomorrow!) so I served these with them. We both loved them!

To get these thin enough, you'll want to use a mandoline. Or have mad knife skills.

This recipe is from the latest Bon Appetit magazine.

Homemade Potato Chips
5 Yukon Gold potatoes
Vegetable oil (for frying)
Kosher salt

Using a mandoline, thinly slice potatoes (just under 1/8" thick). Let soak in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes. Drain. Pat potatoes until very dry.

Meanwhile, pour oil into a large pot to a depth of 1 1/2". Attach a deep-fry thermometer to side of pot; heat oil over medium heat to 320°. (I don't have a thermometer; I just wing it)

Working in batches of about 20 slices and returning oil to 320° after each batch, fry potatoes, stirring gently, until they are golden brown and oil stops sizzling, 3–4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chips to paper towels to drain. Season each batch generously with salt.

*Make these into salt and vinegar chips by also sprinkling the chips with vinegar powder (1/4 tsp per batch of 20).

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved