Thursday, January 30, 2014

Crockpot Caramelized Onions



Today was a snow day! And while I've been begging for a snow day since the last one we had (aka, last winter), this really wasn't the week I had in mind. My work schedule is so crammed that just missing one day threw things completely for a loop! It was beautiful to look at, though, and I appreciated the opportunity to stay in my PJ pants most of the day :)

The downside of a snow day is that I want to EAT ALL THE THINGS. And what I'm not eating, I'm cooking. And cooking leads to more eating... it's like a terrible merry-go-round that results in a larger pant size before I know it. Do y'all get the itch to cook and eat when you're ice bound to your house?

Schools are closed again tomorrow but my rear will be trekking to work, ice or not!

But enough about snow - let's talk onions. I hate hate hate 99% of onions but LOVE caramelized onions. Unfortunately, I never even gave them a chance until recent years! It's amazing how crunchy, bitter, yucky raw onions can become something so sweet, soft, and rich in flavor. On the stove, they are simple to make but take time and patience. Not weeknight friendly! And on top of all of that, they dirty a skillet you'll have to hand wash later.

But these? In the crockpot? LIFE CHANGING.

And when you throw them in on your way to bed, the aroma fills the entire house and it's so amazing that when you get up to use the bathroom at 3am you can't help but sneak a bite before returning to bed.

Or maybe that's just me.

This recipe is so easy I'm almost embarrassed to post it. But it's so good, and so simple, that it simply must be shared with more people.

Make a big batch, use what you need, and freeze the rest in small portions for later. Remember that onions cook way down so slice more than you think you'll need. You'll thank me later!

Be sure your crockpot is 1/2 - 3/4 full of onions - 5 large onions seemed to be the perfect amount for my 6.5 quart crockpot. 


Crockpot Caramelized Onions
4-5 large yellow onions
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Thinly slice all the onions and add the slices to the crockpot. Be sure it's at least 1/2 full but not more than 3/4 full.

Drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle salt over top; gently toss so each onion is lightly coated. 

Cover and cook on low for 10 hours. If you're home/awake, stir them every few hours to help them cook more evenly. If you aren't home, don't worry - they'll still be fine.

Check at the 10 hour point and see if they are the color and consistency you prefer. At this point, you can either remove them or let them cook awhile longer until your desired doneness. 

They can stay refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 3 months.

Source: The Kitchn 

4 comments :

  1. I love caramelized onions, best topping to put on anything! Never did them in the crock pot before, definitely will have to try :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than caramelized onions! This is so cool that the onions cook in the crock pot! I am totally going to have to try this. Thanks for linking up to Saturday Night Fever! Pinning now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It beats the heck out of babysitting a pan! Let me know what you think if you give it a try :)

      Delete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved