Monday, March 3, 2014

Crockpot Dr Pepper Pulled Pork Nachos



You know in Texas, we think anything can be turned into a nacho.

And it's mostly true - I'd eat just about anything piled on a tortilla chip!

Have you had BBQ nachos? Y'all... it's like the greatness of Texas BBQ combined with the greatness of Tex Mex. Now that we're in the lovely state of North Carolina, pork BBQ rules our world. Sure, a real pulled pork isn't going to come from your crockpot but us regular people aren't typically smoking whole pigs in the backyard on a weekday.

{and if you are, please invite me over!}

These nachos are so simple it's ridiculous. And, since it's a build-your-own dish, it's perfect for a crowd! This makes a TON of pulled pork - especially if you're using it for nachos. If you're only a family of two like us, throw half in the freezer and make sandwiches out of it a couple weeks later!

You could use another brand of coke/cola/soda but this Texan always reaches for the Dr. Pepper!



Crockpot Dr Pepper Pulled Pork Nachos
For the pork:
3-4 pounds boneless pork roast
2 cans Dr Pepper
1 cup brown sugar, divided
4 tablespoons minced garlic
1.5 cups barbecue sauce

For the nachos:
tortilla chips
additional barbecue sauce
sour cream (mix it with a few squeezes of lime juice to kick it up!)
sliced jalapenos
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Place the pork in your crockpot and pour both cans of Dr Pepper over top. Add half the brown sugar to the Dr Pepper in the bottom and swish it together. Spread the remaining brown sugar over top of the pork. Salt and pepper it well.

Put the lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until it easily shreds with a fork.

Once finished, use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked pork to a large non-stick skillet. Heat over medium high heat, add 1/4 of the remaining liquid in the crockpot, and shred the meat with two forks. Add the minced garlic and barbecue sauce. Continue shredding and mixing the meat with the sauce until well blended and hot throughout. 

Spread chips on a plate and layer shredded pork, cheese, sour cream, additional barbecue sauce, and jalapenos over top each one. Serve hot.

Source: adapted from Cravings of a Lunatic

2 comments :

  1. I love nachos! I love Dr. Pepper. I love pulled pork. I think I am going to have to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you did this. Thanks for the mention, it was so sweet of you. I'm a huge grill girl and love to smoke meat but my goodness it's too cold here right now. I'm in Canada and usually the cold doesn't stop me but this year it has. My slow cooker and my dutch oven oven have become my besties. Now you have me wondering how this would taste with braised short ribs as the meat for it. Darn you Aimee, look what you've started.

    Are you missing Jen as much as me? The blogging world doesn't feel the same without her.

    xx

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved