Monday, May 24, 2010

Creole Summertime Stew


This recipe is from my friend, Sheryl. She lives in NOLA so I trust her Creole recipes! This was really good - though time consuming so plan ahead. You could adjust the spice as much as you liked; I made ours pretty spicy and it helped with my sinuses. =) Overall, it's a really hands-off recipe so you can get it going and move to something else for awhile.
.
Creole Summertime Stew
1/2 lb andouille sausage (I just used the whole 14 oz package)
1 lb peeled shrimp (I pulled the tail off, too)
2 cups fresh okra (or sliced frozen, which is what I did)
1.5 Creole tomatos, diced (I used a can of diced tomatos or you could use plum tomatos)
1/2 can Rotel tomatos (I just threw in the whole can)
2 slices lemon
1 vidalia onion, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced (I skipped)
2 celery stalks with leaves, diced (I used more like 4-5)
2 cloves diced garlic
Olive or vegetable oil
Fresh basil
Fresh sage
Splash of Sherry
Cajun seasoning
All Spice
Sweet paprika
.
Slice the andouille and brown in as little oil as possible. Remove from pot and set aside.
.
Add more oil if needed and add okra and lemon slices. Brown the okra until it's not slimy anymore - so dry and lightly browned. This takes awhile - be patient.
.
Return andouille to pot and add the onion, pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook until soft.
.
Add a splash of Sherry to the pot to deglaze, scraping up all the browned bits on the bottom. Add tomatos, Rotel, cajun seasoning (to taste), and cook about an hour.
.
Add shrimp and cook another 15-30 minutes on low heat. Remove lemon rinds, add fresh herbs and additional seasonings to taste, and serve with white rice.

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved