Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pork Vindaloo with Raita
















This is from my friend, Stephanie, and I loved it. My favorite Indian dish is Butter Chicken but this will satisfy my craving for Indian spice without the butter and cream found in my favorite dish (which you should make if you haven't yet). I also liked this dish because you can use up vegetables or meat that you have on hand.

Mine ended up not being heavy on tomatoes, like some versions I've seen. I will add a can or two of diced tomatoes next time to stretch the sauce. I'd also pick up some additional veggies to throw in.

Pork Vindaloo with RaitaRaita:
1.5 cups lowfat plain yogurt
3/4 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
3/4 cup chopped seeded tomato (I skipped - I don't like raw tomato)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
Vindaloo:
1.5 cups thinly sliced sweet onion
2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp ground red pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
EVOO
1 cup chopped seeded tomato (or a can of diced tomatoes)
4.5 cups hot cooked basmati rice

To prepare raita, spoon yogurt onto several layers of paper towels; spread to 1/2 inch thickness. Cover with additional paper towels and let stand 5 minutes. Scrape into a bowl using a rubber spatula. Stir in cucumber, 3/4 cup tomato, 1/4 tsp salt, and garam masala. Cover and refrigerate.

To prepare vindaloo, combine onion and next 13 ingredients (through pork) in a large bowl. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat with EVOO. Add pork mixture and saute 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in 1 cup tomato. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until pork is tender (the longer the better!) stirring occasionally. Serve with raita and rice.

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved