Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cheesy Shrimp and Grits Casserole



Raise your hand if you love shrimp and grits!

I remember the first time I tried it; I was in Charleston for a work conference and decided I wasn't leaving that city until I had some. It wasn't a dish my mom made growing up, and wasn't something easily found on menus where I lived, but I knew I could get a great representative of it there.

One bite later, I was hooked.

Shrimp and grits are creamy, cheesy, and oftentimes a tad spicy. It's like a big bowl of comforting goodness!

This casserole is, in my opinion, even better than a traditional shrimp and grits. It has all the flavors you love but in an easier form - perfect for a family meal or even as a side dish! To say we loved it would be a complete understatement.


Cheesy Shrimp & Grits Casserole
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup regular grits
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 green onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
salt and pepper

Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish and set aside.

Bring the chicken broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Once boiling, stir in grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Once finished, stir in 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese and all of the pepperjack. 

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the raw shrimp, green onions, and garlic. Saute 4-5 minutes or until onions are tender and shrimp is opaque and cooked through. 

Add the shrimp mixture to the pot of grits and cheese and mix well. Stir in the diced tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese over top. 

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly on top. 

Source: adapted from Southern Living

1 comment :

  1. Casseroles make me feel like I can do anything in life. They are so easy! One dish and dinner is served... I have never tried shrimp and grits before, so I can't wait to make this!!

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved