Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Tex Mex Meatloaf



Oh, meatloaf, you're so visually unappealing yet so tasty. It's one of my favorite meals to eat but I'd never dare serve it to company! Which is really silly because a good meatloaf recipe should be shown off - it's not easy to create one that's flavorful and moist. How many of us have choked down a super dry meatloaf before?

I love my mom's meatloaf (don't we all?) but I also love trying other versions. Meatloaf is almost like a burger - the possibilities are endless! I've shared recipes for both an All-American version and a Cajun version - it time for a Tex Mex version!

I know it's tempting to just do 2 pounds of beef but the mix of pork and beef helps keep the meat flavorful and moist. It's worth the combination! Since I removed the ribs and seeds from the jalapenos, we didn't find this spicy but instead more like a cross between chili and tacos. As always, spice is easily adjusted to your preference.

Meatloaf, in my opinion, should always be served with mashed potatoes. And I have the perfect mashed potato recipe to go with this meatloaf coming on Friday!


Tex Mex Meatloaf
1 pound ground beef (15%)
1 pound ground pork 
1/2 cup quick oatmeal
1 carrot, grated
1 egg
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 jalapenos, finely chopped (remove the ribs/seeds to tone down the heat)
1.5 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely minced (note: 1 pepper - not 1 can!)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon each salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well with your hands. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place it in a loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until internal temperature reads 160 degrees F.

Remove from oven and cover loosely with foil for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

Source: slightly adapted from Cowgirl Chef by Ellise Pierce

4 comments :

  1. I love meatloaf and this recipe definitely sounds like a winner. Great job!

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely make this this week. My husband loves a tasty meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved