Thursday, February 13, 2014

(Super Simple) Bison & Bean Chili



I know the midwest is so tired of all the snow but here in Charlotte, we got a gorgeous blanket of the white stuff and are smitten! This Texan has never seen this much snow before so it's quite exciting. We have at least 6 inches on the yard right now with more expected.

Needless to say, we're house bound and just about all productivity as come to a near stop in my world. Unfortunately my husband works from home so he gets no snow day :(

Chili is good any cold day but it's especially comforting after a day of playing in the snow. This chili is ridiculously simple and really delicious. It's actually Jason's favorite chili I've ever made! The recipe is from my friend, Dionna, who brought it to us after I had surgery a few years ago and we immediately asked for the recipe. We refer to is as "Dionna's Chili" in our house!

I love the leanness of ground bison but you could easily swap it out with ground beef. This is a great chili to serve over cornbread and top with chow chow!


{Super Simple} Bison & Bean Chili
1 lb ground bison (or beef)
2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
1 package mild chili seasoning
3 heaping teaspoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 (14.5 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed 

In a dutch oven medium high heat, brown the ground bison until cooked through. Drain off any excess fat. 

To the pot, stir in the the tomatoes, chili seasoning, brown sugar, salt, and beans. Let cook about 10 minutes. Turn the heat to low and let simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Source: my friend Dionna

2 comments :

  1. My hubby would love this with bison!! Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Retreat, hope to see you back tonight! www.mommyondemand.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how simple and delicious this chili looks!

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved