Monday, February 11, 2013

Lemon Bliss Cake

Somehow, I've made it this far in life without a bundt pan. I kept marking (aka pinning) bundt cakes that looked amazing yet had no pan to make them in! I added it to my Christmas list and my sister in law gifted me with one (thanks, Laura!).

This was the first recipe I made it in and man, is it good. Jason is a lemon addict so I knew he'd love it when I scanned through the ingredients. Unlike some cakes, this one is very moist thanks to the glaze and is tangy and sweet. For this non-baker, this recipe was a cinch to throw together and came out perfect.

Psst ~ don't have a bundt cake? You can also use a 10" tube pan!

If you're on the hunt for a non-chocolate Valentine's dessert for your sweetie, this would be a great choice!

 
 
Lemon Bliss Cake
For the cake:
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt (decrease to 1/2 teaspoon if using salted butter)
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup milk
finely grated rind of 2 lemons
3/4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional, for extra lemon oomph!)

For the glaze:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 10" tube pan, or a 9" to 10", 9- to 10-cup capacity bundt-style pan.

Beat together the butter, sugar, and salt, first till combined, then till fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add the baking powder, then add the flour alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until smooth. Stir in the grated lemon rind and lemon extract. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.

Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. 

While the cake is baking, make the glaze by stirring together the lemon juice and sugar. Set it aside.

Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack. After 5 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen, and turn the cake out onto a rack. Place another rack on top, and flip it over, so it's right-side-up. 

Poke the hot cake all over with a cake tester or toothpick.

Stir the glaze to combine, and immediately brush it on the hot cake. Let it sink in, then brush on more glaze, continuing until all the glaze is used up.

Allow the cake to cool before slicing.

Source: King Arthur Flour

5 comments :

  1. This looks and sounds awesome! Years ago, when I was a not-so-great cook, I made a lemon bundt cake using a cake mix that turned out pretty tasty. But now I love baking from scratch (and I'm not great at turning a cake mix recipe into a scratch recipe), so this is a must-try for me. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am both chocolate and lemon fan :D this pound cake would really be perfect for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made a Lemon Loaf yesterday! I love lemon desserts! Bundt pans are so amazing. I feel like everything I make in a bundt pan is easy and amazing. My favorite thing to make in a bundt pan is cream cheese stuffed monkey bread!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aimee,
    New follower here (I'm really not a stalker, lol) but I love your blog and can't wait to try your recipes. I love lemon and this cake is a must try for me :) Thanks for sharing :)
    Michelle
    www.michellestastycreations.com

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved