Friday, February 8, 2013

Monte Cristo Poppers

I never had to look at the menu at Bennigans; my choice was always the Monte Cristo Sandwich. Slices of turkey, ham, cheddar, and swiss put between bread, deep fried, and served with a healthy sprinkling of powdered sugar and a side of raspberry preserves. It was like heaven on a plate. I think most Bennigan's went belly up but they seem to be expanding again through franchising (and I noticed that on their website, they now have quite the presence in South Korea and Mexico!). Unfortunately, none in my area yet.

The good news is that I don't really need them anymore. These poppers give the texture and flavor of the Bennigan's version, and they are so darn easy to make! This recipe will quickly whip up 32 poppers for you to snack on or feed to a crowd.

Now, though there is a "recipe" please know that this is a wing-it sorta dish. Your main objective is to squish as much meat/cheese inside the biscuit dough and it still completely close before frying. The method you use it up to you (though I included mine below). The original recipe calls for a full pound of each meat and cheese but I didn't come close to using all that so I think you're more realistic to aim for 1/2 pound of each. Unless you know your family will make sandwiches with whatever is left. :)


Monte Cristo Poppers
1 package (8 count) of flaky biscuits (like Pillsbury Grands)
1/2 lb thinly sliced deli ham
1/2 lb thinly sliced deli turkey
1/2 lb sliced swiss Cheese
1/2 lb sliced cheddar Cheese 
Powdered Sugar
Raspberry Preserves
Oil, for frying

With your hands or a rolling pin, flatten out a biscuit and then cut it into fourths. Take each fourth and flatten it until a small circle. Repeat until you've trimmed them all down (making 32 total small circles).

Stack up a slice of turkey, ham, cheddar, and swiss and tightly roll them together. Cut the roll into 3-4 pieces, or about 1/2 inch long.

Place a roll of meat/cheese in the center of a small biscuit circle and wrap the dough up around it until it's tightly closed. Repeat until all 32 are stuffed and rolled.

Add enough oil to heavy bottomed pot for it to be about 2 inches deep. Heat to about 350 degrees and then add poppers, a few of a time, and fry until they are browned all over. This only takes a few minutes.

Remove with slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm. Serve with raspberry preserves.

Source: Oh, Bite It

Linking up to Whipperberry Friday Flair Party and The Country Cook Weekend Potluck

6 comments :

  1. Such a fun way to eat a Monte Cristo!
    I'd love for you to come over to Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky party and share your fun idea Party closes Tuesday evening!
    http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/finding-the-pretty-delicious-linky-party-4/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good. Perfect for a brunch! - Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Aimee! Just wanted to pop by and let you know that I'm featuring this as my personal favorite from last week's Weekend Potluck. I liked you on fb and tried to leave a comment, but it is not showing up??? (Crazy fb!) Anyhow, I'm looking forward to following you, there is a lot of yummy stuff here! Have a terrific weekend!
    ~Kim
    http://sunflowersupperclub.blogspot.com/2013/02/weekend-potluck-54.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I could search your blog all day and come away with 10 new recipes I want to make right now! This just moved up to my #1 spot of new recipes to try. Thanks for sharing :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved