Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rustic Lemon Pie

My friend Jen blogs over at Juanita's Cocina and she posted this lemon pie recipe awhile back. Since lemon flavor is Jason's favorite (the tarter the better!) I knew we had to give it a try.

Not only is it easy as pie (hee hee) but it's delicious to boot! It's tart and sweet with a nice crunch from the double crust. Yes, you even include the (thinly sliced) rind. You know those candied orange/lemon peels? That's exactly what it tastes like to me. I loved it, however, Jason didn't care for the texture in his pie. So, if you like candied peels include the whole thing; if not, I'd leave out the peel (but I'd also be really sad).

Rustic Lemon Pie
2 large lemons
2 cups (plus some for sprinkling) sugar
5 eggs, beaten well
2 9-inch pie crusts

Slice lemons paper thin, rind and all (make sure seeds are removed, too).

In a bowl, mix sugar in with lemons and let stand for 2 hours, stirring periodically.

After 2 hours, add beaten eggs to lemon and sugar mix.

Line a pie pan with one of the pie crusts. Add lemon, sugar and egg mix to the pie shell.

Top with the other pie crust and seal the crusts together. Make a few small slits in the top crust in order to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle sugar on top of pie crust.

Bake pie for 15 minutes on 450. Turn oven temperature down to 375 and bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until crust is nicely browned.

Allow pie to cool completely before slicing and serving.

7 comments :

  1. I make this pie for my wife when she's had a hard day at work or just to let her know I appreciate the wonderful meals she makes for our family. She loves this fruity pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeeey, I love this pie. ;) I think yours came out more beautiful than ours did! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee, I absolutely adore you and your blog! I hope you know that. Here's a little something for you in recognition of your amazing work here. Read and pass it on!

    http://juanitascocina.blog.com/2012/01/31/liebster-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Augh, Joy I didn't intend to remove your comment - I meant to reply! I'm so sorry! I can't figure out how to recover it either... :(

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I have some Meyer lemons ripe on my tree. I'm going to try this. Thanks for linking to Saturday Dishes.

    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pic is old and SO BAD but it's such a great pie, I just had to contribute it! I need to bake it again and give it another shot at a good photo impression :)

      Delete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved