Friday, January 6, 2012

Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden Knock-Off)


Truth be told, I can't remember the last time we dined at Olive Garden so I honestly had no idea they offer this soup... but it seems to be a favorite menu item for many. A friend of mine recommended this recipe from All Recipes - with her stamp of approval plus 800+ 5 star ratings, I knew we had to try it!

We both liked it a lot. It's hearty, warm, and very filling - plus easy to throw together! I'm not even a sausage fan and I loved it in this.

The original calls for spinach but I did what many suggested and switched it for kale. Spinach doesn't hold up well in the liquid but kale does. Plus it's a super healthy food!

Zuppa Toscana
1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
5 (13.75 ounce) cans chicken broth (I used stock)
6 potato, thinly sliced
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 bunch fresh kale, tough stems removed

Cook the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Cook the bacon in the same Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain, leaving a few tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the bottom of the Dutch oven. Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.

Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven with the bacon and onion mixture; bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream and the cooked sausage; heat through. Mix the kale into the soup just before serving.

1 comment :

  1. Whew! So glad you liked it (I get worried when I recommend something)! I loved it! Tom was not too crazy about it...he is a normal chicken noodle soup/soup is not dinner guy though.

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved